Dates & Times Vary, Call for Appointment
The Greater Prince William Community Health Center has partnered with Novant Health Prince William Medical Ceneter and Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center to offer mammography services at our Woodbridge and Manassas locations on a rotating basis. Both mobile mammography coaches feature state-of-the-art equipment, skilled staff and private changing areas. Please contact Novant (703-369-8073) and Sentara (703-523-1560) directly for appointments. Most insurance is accepted, and pro-rated payment plans are available for those without insurance.
Novant’s program is part of a collaborative effort between Novant Health Breast Center, Novant Health Foundation and several individual and corporate donors. Sentara’s program is made possible by a grant from the Potomac Health Foundation.
Still not sure if you are ready to schedule your appointment? Below are “5 Good Reasons to Get a Mammogram,” as published by Sentara:
- Mammography saves lives. Women who get screened decrease their chance of dying from breast cancer by 30 percent. Despite all the controversy surrounding screening mammograms, there is universal agreement in the medical community that it saves lives. It is the single most important thing a woman can do to lessen her chances of dying from breast cancer.
- Early detection is the key to the cure. Mammography can detect cancer at early stages before women can feel a lump. When breast cancer is detected early, at a localized stage, the survival rate is 98 percent. Once breast cancer has metastasized and spread throughout the body, the five-year survival rate drops to 25 percent.
- Risk of breast cancer increases with age. The American Cancer Society advises all women beginning at age 40, to have a mammogram performed once a year as long as they do not have serious or chronic health problems. Age alone should not be the reason to stop having mammograms.
- It doesn’t take much time. Mammograms are a quick procedure, only taking about 20 minutes.
- You can be a role model. Encourage women in your life to get their annual mammogram by having yours. Do it for yourself and for those you love. Remember this test may save your life.